Monday 12 March 2012

Yummy Vegetable Soup

I love soup.  I could eat it every day, even in the middle of summer.  There is this organic vegetable soup that I would sometimes buy for lunch for the boys and I, and we all really like it.  But it gets costly buying it all the time, there would never be enough veggies in it, and I know it was loaded with salt (hence why it tasted so good!).  I tried on several occasions to make my own vegetable soup but it never tasted as good so I would just revert back to buying the store bought stuff.  Finally I think I got it, a super yummy homemade vegetable soup.

I based it loosely on this recipe that I found but ended up tweaking it depending on what veggies I had available.  I'm also pretty bad at keeping track of amounts, but this is basically how I made it today:

Vegetable Soup

1 diced potato
2 or 3 chopped carrots
1/2 chopped onion
2 stalks chopped celery
1 pint diced cherry tomatoes (or you can used canned diced tomatoes)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 can drained and rinsed kidney beans
3-4 cups vegetable juice
2-3 cups vegetable broth or water (whatever I have really)
*the amounts of liquids vary, I basically just keep adding until the pot is full
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dried herbs
1 cup cooked pasta

Put all veggies, liquids, and seasonings in a pot and simmer until vegetables are tender.  Add cooked pasta last.  You could do rice instead if desired.

This makes a huge batch so we can eat soup all week or even freeze some.  I love it because it tastes good, and it has a good variety of vegetables in it that my picky kids will actually eat.  They especially love kidney beans so I like putting them in for that reason, but you could use chickpeas instead.

You could add any veggies you want to this really, I would have put some green beans in as well if I had some, or maybe some leeks or even broccoli.

Going to eat some now!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment