Wednesday 7 March 2012

Spring is in the Air

I know we have been really lucky with our winter this year in that it was very mild and we didn't get completely buried in snow.  Well, I guess it depends on who you talk to, most of the crazy winter nuts that live in our town were hugely disappointed with how winter was this year.  I was not complaining.  I've said it before, I don't hate winter, the cold, or snow, nevertheless I quite enjoyed this past winter where it wasn't bitterly cold and I didn't have to dig my car out of 2 feet of snow everyday. 

Despite the easy winter we had I will still be happy to see the end of it and am glad that it seems to be wrapping up early.  I know technically we still have 2 weeks of the season left, but that hasn't stopped me from teaching the kids to chant "Go away winter!  Hurry up spring!" with me on a regular basis.  I'm just ready to not have to deal with so many layers just to go on the simplest of errands.

So it seems our chants have been heard, and in true Canadian form we went from -20 degrees two days ago to +15 today.  Heavenly.  There is nothing like the feeling of that first true spring-like day.  The sun was up early and it was hard to ignore the fact that it was light out when I woke up and the birds were actually singing.  There was a bit of that wicked spring wind blowing today but at least it wasn't bitterly cold.  Yep, it was a lovely 'spring' day.

I could not ignore the call of spring and so the kids and I headed out for a walk in the afternoon.  It's not like we haven't been out walking for months, because of the mild winter we had gotten out a lot more than we would of in past winters.  But today felt different.  Maybe it was because it was so warm and comfortable, and we didn't have to wear so many layers.  It might of been just the feeling that everyone was emerging from their winter hibernation.  We kept running into familiar faces, and even though they were all people we would see around all winter at the Y, it was still nice to see them outside. 

We wandered around for a bit before heading back home.  On the way home, this local man passed by us in his motorized wheelchair.  He is often out and about, cruising the streets with a very loud sound system blasting music.  I have heard him play anything and everything, from Celine Dion to Abba to Elton John to Lady Gaga.  Today as he approached I heard the most lovely song - Daydream Believer.  Not sure if he was playing it as a tribute to the late Davy Jones, or if it was just a coincidence, but I couldn't help but smile and sing along as he passed. 

What a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment