Monday 4 April 2011

A Rainy Monday Ramble

So just over a week ago now I got a fancy new double stroller.  Well, new to me as we got it off of craigslist.  Last year I had convinced Tyler to buy me a sit n stand, because I thought I would for sure need something for both the boys.  Well it was a total waste of money.  Not only was it hard to push and ackward to maneuver, neither boy wanted to be in it.  I just ended up having F in a baby wrap or carrier, and T would walk.  I knew that this year I wanted a GOOD double stroller, so we could get around town easily.  F is now too big to haul around in the carrier, and T still prefers to walk but if I want to get anywhere in good time then he needs to be in a stroller.  After asking around which ones were good, and shopping on craigslist, I got a fabulous Bumbleride Indie Twin.  And I LOVE it!!

But the most important part and the point to explaining our current stroller situation - since getting the stroller we have been outside every single day.  Even though it's still been a bit cold, and rainy at times, I have been motivated to get out.  And that feels soooo good!  Especially after a long winter where we hardly got out at all. 

Today was rainy but I had resolved that we would walk to the YMCA anyway, for three reasons.  1) I'm that obsessed with my new stroller that I am willing to go walking in the rain just to take it out.  2) F refused to nap this morning so I wanted him to be able to have some quiet, relaxing time while we walked.  And 3) I couldn't resist the opportunity to put on rain boots and go puddle hopping with my favorite 2.5yr old, who cannot resist the call of a good, muddy puddle!

We marched to the Y for active tots which both boys love.  Then strolled home again, jumping in every puddle we could find.  It was win-win, F got a little snooze, T got some puddle time, and we all got some fresh air.  All thanks to my wonderful double stroller!

I've noticed something else wonderful happening since we have been out and about town more lately.  Something that is making me feel pretty good about living here.  Now when we go out, we are starting to run into familiar people.  At the EYC, at the Y, at the park, even just walking down the street.  Neighbours, other moms, new friends.  It's a good feeling to see a familiar face and say hi, even if it's just in passing.  This morning at active tots I had a nice chat with another mom that I've seen around since moving here last year.  Makes me feel like maybe, just maybe, I will be able to make new friends here.

The rest of the day wasn't too interesting though.  The threatening rain kept us in for the afternoon, and neither boy napped particularly well so they were both rather grumpy.  So we stayed in and hung out.  I spent some time tinkering around with my camera to see if I could figure out how to take nicer pics.

I, unfortunately, am a terrible photographer.  I'm not sure if it's just I have no idea what I'm doing, no idea how to take a good picture, or have no idea how to work my camera properly.  Or maybe my camera's just not that great.  But I thought, there has to be a way for me to take a nice picture!  So I got it out and played around with it a bit.  And I think I'm getting the hang of it.  Also, I think I need to spend more time editing my photos to make them look better.  Maybe then I will have some nice pictures.  Now, if only I could get the boys to sit still and smile for me!

One of these days I will get the hang of this blogging thing, and will hopefully stop feeling so overwhelmed by it.  I'm enjoying the idea of blogging, but am frustrated that I can't yet wrap my head around making it how I want it to be, including adding some pics.  Which I will do, once my photography skills improve.

So this ramble of today has left me thinking one thing at the moment.  I am not very good at writing!  There was a time when I considered myself a rather good writer, but something tells me that any talent I might have possessed disappeared years ago.  Because once again I've had some great ideas for posts over the course of the day, and yet here I am with nothing to show for it.  I always think "well there's always tomorrow's post".  Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same boat Martina. After seeing some of the other blogs out there, mine is very plain in comparison! But we can blame it on mommyhood taking all our time to be fancy ;)

    ReplyDelete