Tuesday 5 April 2011

Zumba kicked my a**

Today was zumba day.  I need to get in shape.  Not that I've ever really been much of a super fit person, but there was a time when I was in pretty good shape.  It's funny because before I had kids I had some small insecurities about my body.  Looking back, it was pretty damn near perfect!  Oh how I wish I had appreciated it when I had it.  Oh well, what can you do.  It's a small price to pay for having such wonderful children.

But even after having the boys I've never really been bothered by the state of my body.  The weight was easy enough to lose, it's just the shape that needs rearranging.  I always thought I looked decent enough.  That is until I went bathing suit shopping a few weeks ago.  Those changeroom mirrors are unforgiving!  So I decided it was time to make more of an effort to get my body back.  Well, let's face it, it will never look like it did before pregnancy.  But there is certainly room for improvement!

I've never been overly athletic.  Before having the boys my main activities for staying in shape were horsebackriding and bellydancing.  Both past times that I miss dearly and hope to get back into one day.  But that is for another post.  Horsebackriding will have to wait until I have more money, and as for bellydancing, well I'm still trying to find that out here!

But I have discovered zumba.  And oh my am I loving it!  But it's kicking my ass.  Seriously, I can't move today.  Tuesdays are zumba days for me.  I go to the Y and drop the kids off at the childminder's.  It's the one hour a week I get to myself (for now anyway), and it's a whole hour of letting go, having fun, and feeling good.  The instructor is fantastic and I'm really enjoying the class.  It is a hard workout, but for someone who loves dancing it's the perfect way to get fit.  Ok, it's no bellydancing, but for now it's filling the void rather nicely.

A mom on a thread I read recently was asking how others get motivated to get in shape and stay motivated.  Now I'm not one for fitness, like I said.  The gym is no good for me, and I'm not coordinated or confident enough for team sports.  But give me dance any day and that's all the motivation I need.  (Well, that and the thought of my image staring back at me in the changeroom mirror while trying on bathing suits!)  For me, the way to stay motivated is to choose an activity that you really truly enjoy.  If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it.  It's as simple as that.  I love dancing, and if I could take a dance class every day of the week I would!

Zumba has been great because it's dance, but it's also an amazing workout.  I'm certainly feeling it today!  So it's right down my alley and I'm glad to have found something that I enjoy enough to keep up with.  It's making me feel like getting my bikini body back really isn't such a scary task!

There is a Thursday evening class that I'm hoping to take as well.  It's after dinner but before the kids go to bed, so Tyler can do their bath and bedtime stuff and I'll be home to tuck them in.  It will be tight, but totally worth it!

As for bellydancing, well I miss it so much.  I have found a dance studio about 30mins away that offers it, so I'm hoping to be able to afford classes there soon as well.  Between that and zumba I should be able to get my fitness and dance fix, and get in great shape just in time for bikini season.  Good thing too considering we live near a beach.

So if anyone is looking for the motivation to get in shape I have two pieces of advice.  One, go bathing suit shopping.  And two, find something you really love and enjoy, and stick with it.  You don't have to be a fitness guru to enjoy a good workout!

That's how this mom plans on getting her body back!

No comments:

Post a Comment