Thursday 14 April 2011

Ugh, Weather

Warning, this is going to be a rant about the weather.  Which is funny, because usually one of my biggest pet peeves is people who complain about the weather.  Actually, it's more like people who are surprised about the weather, not so much complain about it.  The way I see it, if you've lived in this country for any amount of time, then you will know that the weather here is always changing, and no two years are alike.  Therefore one should never be surprised to see t-shirts in January or snow in June.  That is just how we roll here in Canada.

But anyways, back to my rant.  I want it to be warm already.  (note:  I am NOT surprised that it's NOT warm, just disgruntled at the fact!)  Maybe it's because I have to dress up two little people as well as myself to go outside that I am noticing it's still too cold, but I swear it should be warmer by now.  I distinctly remember this time last year, and it was at least sweater weather.  None of this 3 layers plus jackets, hats, and occasionally boots.

If you have small children, then you know that getting them appropriately dressed to go outside is not an easy task.  It is a bloody awful one, with little arms and legs flailing all over the place, toddlers trying to escape back up the stairs all the while crying to go outside, collapsing in a heap when you're trying to get jackets done up, pulling off hats as you're putting them on.....I could go on.  No matter how much time I leave to get out the door, we're still always running late because it takes so long to get dressed.

So I just want it to be warm.  Warm enough for a t-shirt with just a light sweater over top.  I'd like to be able to put the winter hats and boots away for good.  I keep thinking we are done with them, so I put them away only to have to scramble to go find them again when the temperature drops down.

We had A LOT of snow this year.  It's finally almost all gone save for a few stubborn patches in shady areas.  As pretty as it was when it first fell, I'm happy to see it gone.  Welcome green grass and tulips!

Oh, and the wind.  Don't forget the wind.  One of the lovely things about living on the water is the wicked wind we get.  Honestly, it did not occur to me that it would be windier out here than back in the city, but rest assured if someone had told me that it was, I would have reconsidered our move.  Seriously.  Some nights I lie awake just listening to it howl.  But the worst is trying to walk in it.  You know, the kind of wind that makes birds fly in one place, and blows huge dust storms into your eyes.  The other day walking to the Y I could have let go of the stroller and the wind would have pushed it all the way there.  It's a cold one right now too, so an otherwise comfortable day is made worse by that horrible, annoying wind.

The sun is shining, which is nice, but I feel like we've been waiting forever for it to really warm up.  I keep checking the Weather Network in the hopes of seeing double digits in the future.  Not until next week, and even then it will rain.  *sigh*  If it's not one thing it's another.

So there you have it, my post today is a rant about the weather.  Bit of a grump me thinks but oh well.  Nothing changes a person's mood faster than the weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment